Monday, April 23, 2012

Bob Brown: Thanks from the IOFST

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Bob_brown
Bob Brown Auto,

Thank you very much for the donation that supported me in the 23rd Annual Bataan Death March.  I had the honor and privilege of meeting four of the Bataan Death March survivors and I was one of over 6,700 people that participated in the march.  The pride of the Iowa Army National Guard this year was first place in Female Military Light category with a time of 7 hours and 51 minutes and third place in the Military Co-ed Light category with a time of 7 hours and 14 minutes.  The attached is a group photo of us at the start of the race.

 This year's event was the largest in its 23-year history and one of the warmest.  I saw countless number of service members and civilians that did not finish due to heat related injuries.  Severe blisters and joint pains were to two other common physical injuries that prevented people from finishing.  I must admit that my knees were screaming for me to stop near mile marker 22.  However, the sight of wounded warriors on the trail with prosthetic limbs motivated me to keep pushing.

 The finish was bitter-sweet as I didn't know if I should smile with the cheering crowd or cry about the muscle and joint pains.  All I remember was how great it felt to rally with my fellow Iowa Army National Guard Soldiers and be able to say, "We did it".

 Thanks again for your generous support!

Michael Tang

MAJ, SF, IA ARNG

IO FST - Team Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment